With origins as far back as 1789 Wanstead Park Lodge celebrate 75 years

A Lodge built on strong family connections celebrate a milestone in their history

At Upminster Masonic Centre (known as the Square) on the 2nd March 2024, the Provincial Grand Master (PGM), Paul Tarrant, and the Assistant PGM, Colin Felton with other Provincial retinue and guests were welcomed by Wanstead Park Lodge to celebrate their 75 years Anniversary.

The Worshipful Master (WM), Glen Clough, gave a detailed account of the Lodge’s history, which traces its origins back to the year in which the French Revolution began in 1789, and the Good Fellowship Lodge No. 276.

Their genealogy commences here and shows 16 lodges being consecrated prior to the emergence of the Tylney Lodge No. 5856 who subsequently gave birth to Wanstead Park Lodge No. 6718, which was solemnly consecrated at the Masonic Hall, Chingford during the 18th November 1948. After initially meeting at the Rosebuck Hotel, Buckhurst Hill and then the Royal Forest Hotel, Chingford, it relocated to the Upminster Masonic Centre in 1970.

Since the Lodge’s consecration, it has maintained strong family connections with many son’s, referred to as a ‘Lewis,’ being initiated into the lodge, following in the footsteps of their fathers who are members. Sadly, many have passed but, the process is still active with David Shannon’s son Alfie being the latest who was initiated in January 2022.

To celebrate further to their achievement the WM announced a donation by the lodge of £750 to Prostate Cancer UK.  

The Lodge is extremely proud of their high standards which they partly attribute to so many brethren happily introducing their kin to it and the origins of the Lodge which bequeaths them a 235-year history of Essex Freemasons.

Long may they continue.


Top: A celebration of 75 years by distinguished brethren and brethren all

Bottom (L-R): Paul Tarrant, PGM – Steve Hunt, Junior Warden – Glen Clough, WM – Gordon Clough, Senior Warden (also Father of Glen) – Colin Felton, APGM.