Our History: Timeline 1951-2000

1951

(March 7) The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Scarbrough, KG, GCSI, GCIE, TD, elected MW. Grand Master.

Rt. Hon. the Earl of Derby, M.C., appointed and invested RW. Deputy Grand Master.

(April 2nd) Dr. F. Douglas Turner, CBE, ME, Grand Superintendent in and over the Province of Essex, appointed first Grand Inspector General of the newly created District of Essex in the Order of the Rose Croix.

(June 13) The 153rd Annual Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys, presided over by W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, Deputy Prov. Grand Master, in the absence, through ill-health, of Sir Frederic Senier, Prov. Grand Master. The grand Total subscribed was £205,010, of which £132,495 was contributed by Essex. There were 4,661 Stewards from the Province. The total list was the highest taken up for any of the Institutions this year.

1952

(February 16) The 200th Lodge in the Province, Colcestria No. 7123, was consecrated by W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, Deputy Prov Grand Master in Charge, at the Moot Hall, Colchester.

(March 29th) New Masonic Hall, Frinton-on-Sea, dedicated by W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, Deputy Prov. Grand Master in Charge.

(June 16) W.Bro. Dr. John F Taylor, PGD, highly esteemed Asst. Prov. Grand Master, passed away after a long illness. A Memorial Service was held at Chelmsford Cathedral.

(October 14) The Rev. Canon R. Stafford Morris, MA, P.G. Chaplain, installed as RW. Provincial Grand Master by the M.W. Grand Master, the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Scarbrough, K.G., at a Special Meeting at Freemasons' Hall, London. The Provincial Grand Master re-appointed W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, PGD, as Deputy Prov. Grand Master and W.Bro. S. A. Williams, MA, PGD, as Assistant Prov. Grand Master, and obligated and invested W.Bro. J. Crockford, MBE, PAGDC, and W. Bro. T. R. Boulton, PAGDC, as Assistant Prov. Grand Masters.

1953

(March 13) W. Bro. Brig. J. L. French, C.B., P.G.D., Past Assistant Prov. Grand Master, died in South Africa. A Memorial Service was held at St. John's Church, Buckhurst Hill.

1954

(April 28) At the Grand Festival W.Bro. Dr. F. Douglas Turner, CBE, PGD, M.E. Grand Superintendent of the Royal Arch Province, was invested with the Order of Service to Masonry by the M.W. Grand Master.

(June I) MW.Bro, Rt. Hon. Lord Harris, MC, VL, Installed as Grand Master in the Mark Degree in succession to the late Brig. Gen. W. H. V. Darell, CB, CMG, DSO.

1956

(March 22nd) At the Annual Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge, the Provincial Grand Master, RW.Bro. Rev. Canon R. Stafford Morris, MA, appealed for funds to enable a Ward in the extension to the Royal Masonic Hospital to be named "Essex Ward."

(June 8th) The Provincial Grand Master visited the Masonic Hall, Harwich, and unveiled a plaque to commemorate the restoration of the Hall after the flood disaster.

(June 19th) A memorial tablet to the late W. Bro. Adam Partington, PAGDC, unveiled by the Provincial Grand Master, at the Masonic Temple in Woodgrange Drive, Southend-on-Sea.

(November 6) The death occurred of W. Bro. W. J. Slipper, PGD, a Freemason for over fifty years, Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies from 1928-1953, who had officiated at over one hundred Lodge and Chapter Consecrations.

1957

(March 28) W. Bro. G. F. Chaplin, J.P., was obligated, invested and proclaimed Assistant Provincial Grand Master, at the annual meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge held at Freemasons' Hall, London.

(May 18) United Lodge, No. 697, celebrated its Centenary at the Moot Hall, Colchester. The meeting was attended by the RW. Provincial Grand Master, who presented the Centenary Warrant, the Deputy Provincial Grand Master, and other members of the Executive.

(May 24) The Masonic Temple, (Memorial to the late W. Bro. Adam Partington, PAGDC, PPGW) at Southend-on-Sea, was dedicated by the RW. Provincial Grand Master. The first Lodge to meet in the Temple was Essex Masters, No. 3256, on June 18th.

(June 14) RW. Bro. Rev. Canon R. Stafford Morris, MA, Provincial Grand Master, was invested as Provincial Prior of the Provincial Priory of Essex.

(June 27) The 89th Festival of the Mark Benevolent Fund was presided over by RW.Bro. Major A. J. 0. Turner, TD, Provincial Grand Master of the Mark Province of Essex. The total amount subscribed was £26,490, of which £10,596 was contributed by Essex.

(November 1) The death occurred of VW.Bro. Dr. F. Douglas Turner, CBE, OSM, PGD, beloved Grand Superintendent of the Royal Arch Province of Essex for twenty-two years. A Memorial Service was held at the Church of St. Mary at Wall, Colchester, on 11th November.

(November 27) Essex Masters Lodge No. 3256, celebrated its Jubilee at a special meeting held at Freemasons Hall, London.




1958

(February 8) W. Bro. T. Roger Boulton, P.G.D., highly esteemed Assistant Provincial Grand Master, died.

(March 12) The M.E. The First Grand Principal appointed E. Comp. Dr. A. G. Duncan, PAGSoj, as Grand Superintendent in and over the Royal Arch Province of Essex. (March 27) W. Bro. A. A. W. Simmonds, PGD, Provincial Grand Secretary for the past sixteen years, retired from that office. W. Bro. Albert Warriner, PAGDC, was appointed to succeed him, and W. Bro. H. H. England, PAGDC., as Provincial Assistant Grand Secretary.

(May 22) The Rev. Canon R. Stafford Morris, M.A., Provincial Grand Master, was installed Inspector General of Essex in the Rose Croix Degree, at Chelmsford. (November 13) E. Comp. Dr. A. G. Duncan, Second Provincial Grand Principal, installed as Grand Superin­tendent by the M. E. The First Grand Principal, the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Scarbrough, K.G., at Freemason's Hall, London.

1959

(January 6) W. Bro. P. V. Faning, PAGDC., installed as Provincial Grand Master of the Mark Province of Essex, and W. Bro. H. R. Dunnico, LL.D, JP, as Provincial Grand Secretary.

Provincial Grand Master, was invested as Provincial Prior of the Provincial Priory of Essex.

(June 27) The 89th Festival of the Mark Benevolent Fund was presided over by R.W. Bro. Major A. J. 0. Turner, TD, Provincial Grand Master of the Mark Province of Essex. The total amount subscribed was (26,490, of which (10,596 was contributed by Essex.

(November 1) The death occurred of V.W. Bro. Dr. F. Douglas Turner, C.B.E., OSM, PGD, beloved Grand Superintendent of the Royal Arch Province of Essex for twenty-two years. A Memorial Service was held at the Church of St. Mary at Wall, Colchester, on 11th November.

1961

(March 2) The death occurred in the Royal Masonic Hospital of RW.Bro. the Rev. Canon R. Stafford Morris, MA, our greatly esteemed Provincial Grand Master since 1952. The funeral service was held at Orsett Parish Church, of which he was Rector, and the Bishop of Chelmsford officiated.

(July 4) W.Bro. John Crockford, MBE, PGD, highly esteemed Assistant Provincial Grand Matter, died after a short illness.

1962

(January 24) The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick, D.L., .P., installed as R.W. Provincial Grand Master by the M.W. Grand Master, the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Scarbrough, KG, at a Special Meeting at Freemasons' Hall, London. The Provincial Grand Master re-appointed Dr. A. G. Duncan, PGD., as Deputy Provincial Grand Master and W.Bro. S. A. Williams, M.A., PGD., and W.Bro. G. F. Chaplain, CBE, JP, PGD., as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters.

(Marsh 22) W.Bro. Albert Warriner, PGD., Provincial Grand Secretary retired after four years in that office and sixteen years as assistant. W.Bro. H. H. England, PAGDC, was appointed to succeed hint.

(June 5) The V.E.Kt. L. J. Rivett was installed as Provincial Prior of Essex by the M.E. and Sup. Grand Master-the Rt. Hon. Lord Harris, MC, VL, at Southend.

(June 26) W.Bro. G. F. Chaplain, CBE, JP, PGD., Assistant Provincial Grand Master, had conferred on him the honour of Knight Bachelor by H.M. the Queen.

(Sept 26) W. Bro. W. H. Scanlan, FRIBA, FRICS, AGSWks, PPGW, was obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master, at a meeting of Essex blasters Lodge No. 3256.

(Nov 28) W.Bro. M. Woolf, PGD, PPGW, was obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master at a meeting of St. Andrew's Lodge No. 1817.

1963

(May 8) RW.Bro. The Rt. Hon the Earl of Warwick, DL, Provincial Grand Master, presided over the 175th Annual Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls. The total sum amounted to £392,383 of which Essen subscribed £262,790. The total was the second highest in the history of the Institution. Dr. A. G. Duncan, Grand Superintendent of the Royal Arch Province, took up a list totalling £11,012.

1964

( June 3) In his capacity as Treasurer, RW.Bro. The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick, Provincial Grand Master, presided over the 166th Annual Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys. The Province subscribed £18,957 to the Chairman's List.

(June 30) V.E.Kt. Arthur A Murphy installed as Provincial Prior of Essex.

(October 6) RW.Bro’s. The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Cadogan, Deputy Grand Master, and the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick, Provincial Grand Master, attended the celebration of the Centenary of the Lodge of St. Peter, No. 1024.

1965

(February 24) The Province subscribed £13.990, the highest total of any Province, outside that of the Chairman at the 123rd Festival of the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution.

(May 4) The celebration of the Centenary of Priory Lodge. No. 1000, was attended by the RW. Provincial Grand Master.

(June 3) V.III.Bro. S. G. C. Frohnsdorff, 33°. installed as Grand Inspector General of the Rose Croix District of Essex.

1966

(March 24) W.Bro. S. G. C. Frohnsdorff, PAGStB, obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master. W.Bro. S. A. Williams MA, PGD, having resigned that office.

(December 15) RW.Bro’s. The Rt. Hon. the Earl Cadogan. Deputy Grand Master and The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick. Provincial Grand Master, attended the celebration of the Bicentenary of the Lodge of True Friendship No. 160.

1967

(March 29) W.Bro. S. A. Williams. Assistant Provincial Grand Master. 1950-1966, died.

(May 1) The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick, Provincial Grand Master opened the Thurrock Masonic 1 tall.

(June 14) H.R.H. the Duke of Kent, GCVO, ADC. elected as MW. Grand Master and The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Scarbrough, KG, GSCI, GCIE, GCVO, TD. appointed as Pro Grand Master.

(July 27) Especial Meeting of Grand Lodge held at the Royal Albert Hall on the occasion of the 250th Anniversary of the founding of the Premier Grand Lodge and for the Installation of H.R.H. the Duke of Kent as Grand Master.

Additional Honours—Craft and Royal Arch—were authorized by the M.W. the Grand Master to commemorate his installation. Those honoured by the RW. Prov. Grand Master were invested by him. For this purpose three special meetings were held - Colchester 15th December. Hutton 29th January and Chingford 30th January 1968.

1969

(March 12) W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, MD., Deputy Provincial Grand Master. Grand Superintendent in and over the Royal Arch Province was invested with the M.W. Grand Master's Order of Service to Masonry.

A warrant having been granted to the 250th Lodge in Essex. (July 8) Warren Wood Lodge No. 8284. the Province became entitled to five Asst. Prov. G. Masters. At a meeting of Easterford Lodge. the RW. Prov. G. Master appointed and invested W.Bro. R. S. Buck. PAGDC, as Asst. Prov. G. Master.

1970

(January 15) W.Bro. H. Rathbone Dunnico, LL.D, JP, invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master of the Mark Province of Essex.

1971

Culham College Lodge No. 2951 Warranted 1903 transferred to the Province of Oxfordshire.

(May 21) W.Bro. P. V. Faning, resigned from the office of Provincial Grand Master of the Mark Province of Essex.

(June 15) W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, OSM. resigned as Deputy Provincial Grand Master.

(June 17) The R.W. Provincial Grand Master appointed W.Bro. F. W. R. Leistikow, MA, PAGDC, PPGW. as his deputy.

(Sept. 17) W.Bro. W. H. Scanlan, PJGD, Assistant Provincial Grand Master died.

(Sept. 23) The M.W. the Grand Master The Rt. Hon. the Lord Harris, installed RW.Bro. L. E. Kirk, PGW, as Provincial Grand Master at an especial meeting of Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge at Chelmsford. VW.Bro. H. R. Dunnico, LL.B., PGO, was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. W.Bro. T. W. Howard, MA, PDepGDC, as Asst. Provincial Grand Master. (Nov. 25) The R.W. Provincial Grand Master invested W.Bro. T. W. Howard, MA, as Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

1972

(Feb. 26) Harlow Masonic Hall opened.

(April 26) W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, OSM. promoted to PJ.G.W.

1973

(March 22) W.Bro. L. K. Corbett, PGStB, ProvAGSec, appointed as Provincial Grand Secretary, on the resignation of W.Bro. H. H. England.

(March 25) R. W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, OSM, PJGW, DepPGM, M. E. Grand Superintendent, in and over the Royal Arch Province, died.

(April 30) W.Bro. J. W. Deal, P.A.G.D.C., invested soar Assistant Provincial Grand Master, W.Bro. Sir George Chaplin, P.S.G.D., having resigned.

(July 10) The Pro First Grand Principal, M. E. Comp. The Rt. Hon. the Earl Cadogan. installed E.Comp. F. W. R. Leistikow as M. E. Grand Superintendent, at a Special Convocation of Provincial Grand Chapter. E.Comps. S. G. C. Frohnsdorff and H. H. England were invested as Second and Third Provincial Grand Principals respectively.

(July 25) E.Comp. Col. A. R. Kiggins, T.D., D.L., was appointed and invested as Deputy Grand Superintendent.

1974

(May 29) The 132nd Annual Festival of the RMBI, presided over by the R.W. Provincial Grand Master. produced a total of £924,000. Essex provided £750,000 including £16,312 from the Royal Arch Province.

(June 12) W.Bro. the Rev. D. 0. R. Parry, PAGChap, PPGChap., appointed as Assistant Provincial Grand Master on the resignation of W.Bro. M. Woolf, PSGD.

(June 15) RW.Bro. The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick. DL, JP, resigned the office of Provincial Grand Master. VW.Bro. F. W. R. Leistikow, PGSwdB, Deputy Provincial Grand Master, appointed to succeed him.

(June 30) After 13 years at 59, Palmerston Road, Buckhurst Hill, freehold premises at 19, The Crescent, Gants Hill, Ilford were purchased for use as Provincial offices.

(October 3) M. W.Bro. The Rt. Hon. the Earl Cadogan, MC. DL, Pro.GM. Installed RW.Bro. F. W. R. Leistikow. MA, as Provincial Grand Master at an Especial Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge. W.Bro. Col. A. R. Kiggins, TD, DL, JP, appointed as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. The APGMs were re­appointed.

1976

(March 25) At Annual Meeting W.Bro. H. J. C. George, PJGD, ProvSGW was obligated and invested as an A.P.G.M. to fill vacancy caused by the resignation of W.Bro. R. S. Buck, P.S.G.D.

(May 6) The Annual Meeting of Provincial Grand Chapter was held at the Cliffs Pavilion, Westcliff-on-Sea. The first annual meeting held within the Province for 34 years.

(July 15) THE 200th ANNIVERSARY OF THE PROVINCE. The MW Pro. Grand Master the Rt. Hon. the Earl Cadogan, M.C., D.L., attended an Especial Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge at Freemasons' Hall, Great Queen Street. At this meeting the result of the Appeal of the R.W. Provincial Grand Master for the Redevelopment and Modernisation Fund of the Royal Masonic Hospital was announced. The total of £251,000 was acknowledged by the Chairman of the Fund, the Rt. Hon. the Lord Hewlett, Provincial Grand Master (East Lancashire). The meeting was preceded by a Service of Thanksgiving at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre E.C. and was followed by dinner at the Connaught Rooms. Further to mark the occasion, a history of the Province by W.Bro. K. S. Buck, PAGDC, was published.

(September) W.Bro. K. C. Brown, P.A.G.D.C., was obligated and invested as an additional Assistant Provincial Grand Master on the alteration of Rule 67(B.C.).

(October 29) The M.W. Grand Master, H.R.H. The Duke of Kent opened the St. Giles Masonic Centre, Colchester.

1978

(March 29) W.Bro. F. C. Hughes was obligated and invested as an Assistant Pro, Grand Master on the resignation of W.Bro. S. G. C. Frohnsdorff.

(May 10) Essex supported the RMIG Festival presided over by the RW PGM for Warwickshire to the extent of £26,972.

(July 18) The M.W. Grand Master The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Stradbroke installed RW.Bro. T. W. Howard, OBE, as Provincial Grand Master at an especial meeting of Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge. VW.Bro. N. T. Clarke, PGO. was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master and W.Bro. 0. S. Burton, PGStwd. as Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

(December 14) The Essex Provincial Grand Stewards Chapter No.8665 was consecrated by the M.E. Grand Supt. This is the first Chapter of its kind and the 100th Chapter on the roll of the Province.

1979

(March 22) W.Bro. J. Gemmill was obligated and invested as an Asst. Prov. G. Master on the resignation of W.Bro. T. W. Howard.

1980

(Feb. 21) The Pro. Grand Master, MW.Bro. The Earl Cadogan, MC, RW.Bro. Viscount Chelsea PGW, RW.Bro. Sir James Stubbs, KCVO, Grand Sec., VW.Bro. A. Ferris, GDC, W.Bro. Comdr. M. B. S. Higham, RN, DepGSec, attended the Eton Manor Lodge at Harlow.

(Mar. 8) Extension to the Howard Hall, Braintree opened by the RW. Prov.G.Master.

(Mar. 27) The strength of the Province now being over 280 Lodges, the RW. Prov.G.Master appointed and invested W.Bro. G. Y. Jerman, LLB, ProvGDC, as an additional APGM.

1981

(March 26) W.Bro. R.E. Evans was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master on the resignation of W.Bro. K. C. Brown.

(Mar. 30) The Old Court House, Rochford, purchased for use as a Masonic Hall.

(Aug. 1) 111.Bro. Major A.E.W. Legg, appointed as Grand Inspector General of the Rose Croix District of Essex.

1982

(March 25) W.Bro. K.J. White was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master on the resignation of W.Bro. H .C.J. George.

(September 29th) W.Bro. A. S. J. Cross, J.P., P.A.G.D.C., P.P.S.G.W., appointed as Provincial Grand Secretary on the retirement of W.Bro. L. K. Corbett, PJGD.

1983

(January 15th) VW.Bro. Col. A. R. Kiggins, T.D., J.P., D.L., Deputy Provincial Grand Master died. A memorial service was held at Chelmsford Cathedral on 26th January.

(March 24th) W.Bro. G.Y. Jerman, P.S.G.D., was obligated and invested Deputy Provincial Grand Master and W.Bro. L.K. Corbett, P.J.G.D., was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master at the Annual Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge.

(May 5th) E. Comp. G.Y. Jerman was appointed and invested as Deputy Grand Superintendent. E. Comp. A.S.J. Cross appointed Provincial Grand Scribe E.

(November 6th) Extension to Witham Masonic Hall opened.

1984

(January 20th) R.W. Bro. The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick, D.L., J.P., Past Provincial Grand Master died.

(March 28th) W.Bro. The Rev. D. O. R. Parry, PDepGChap, APGM died.

(April 12th) W.Bro. F.C. Hughes, PSGD, APGM died.

(Aug. 1st) Ill Bro. N.T. Clarke appointed as Inspector General of the Rose Croix District of Essex following the resignation through ill health of V. III Bro. Major A.E.W. Legg.

(Sept. 26th) W. Bro. F.A. Thornback PAGDC, ProvGDC, and W. Bro. R. G. Eggleton PAGDC, PPSGW, were obligated and invested as APGMs at a meeting of Essex Masters Lodge No. 3256. W. Bro. J.M, Webb PAGDC, PPDepGDC, was also invested as ProvGDC.

(Nov. 30th) V. 111 Bro. N.T. Clarke installed as Inspector General of the Rose Croix District of Essex at Grays.

1985

(June 5th) The R.W. Provincial Grand Master presided over the Festival for the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys. The Festival produced it total 0(0.022.390; Essex provided £2,794,175. including £60.954 from the Royal Arch Province.

(October 24th) The 300th Lodge in the Province, Frederick Leistikow Lodge No. 9143. was Consecrated by the Pro Grand Master. the Rt Hon. Lord Cornwallis, 0.B.E.. D.L., at the Memorial Temple. Southend-on-Sea.

(December 31st) R.W. Bro. F.W.R. Leistikow, MA. resigned the office of Provincial Grand Master. V.W. Bro. G.Y. Jerman, LL.B.. PGSwdB, appointed to succeed him.

1986

(January 16th) The R.W. Deputy Grand Master. The Hon. Edward Latham Bailleu, installed RW.Bro. G. Y. Jerman. LL.B.. as Provincial Grand Master at an Especial Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge. W.Bro. F. A. Thornback, PSGD, appointed as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. The A.P.G.M.s were re-appointed. W.Bro. P.C. Neivens, PAGSwdB, appointed as Assistant Provincial Grand Master. The 2nd Grand Principal, The Hon. Edward Latham Baillieu, installed E.Comp G.Y. Jerman, LL.B., as M.E. Grand Superintendent at an Especial Convocation of Provincial Grand Chapter. E.Comp. F.A. Thorn-back. PGStdB, appointed Deputy Grand Superintendent. The Principals were re-appointed.

(March 20th) W.Bro. D. Scott, PGStdB, PPSGD, appointed as Provincial Grand Secretary. on the retirement of W.Bro. A. S. J. Cross, JP, PAGDC.

(May 14th) E.Comp. C.W. Key, P.A.G.D.C., and E.Comp. S. Conway-Lee. PGStB, appointed 2nd and 3rd Principals respectively. at the annual Convocation of Provincial Grand Chapter.

E.Comp D. Scott, PPAGSoj, appointed Provincial Grand Scribe E.. on the retirement of E.Comp. A. S. J. Cross. JP, PGStdB.

1987

(March 26th) W.Bro A. S. J. Cross. PAGDC, PPSGW, was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master. following the retirement of W.Bro J. W. Deal.

1988

(March 24th) W.Bro Rev, S. Conway-Lee, PAGChap, was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master, following the retirement of W.Bro L. K. Corbett.

(May. 5th) E. Comp G. E. Thurlow. PGStB, was obligated and invested as Third Provincial Grand Principal. following the retirement of E.Comp S. Conway-Lee.

1990

(March 22nd) W.Bro J.M. Webb, PAGDC, ProvGDC, was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master, following the retirement of W. Bro. J. Gemmill.

W Bro. J.P. Rundlett, PAGDC, PPSGD was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master, following the retirement of W. Bro. A. S. J. Cross.

W.Bro. A. V. G. Croucher, PAGDC, PPDepGDC, was appointed Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies.

(May 17th) Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge; W.Bro J. W. Deal, PAGDC, was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of VW.Bro. L. A. G. Carr, RGJO, and W.Bro. J. A. Wright, PDepGDC. was invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master. W.Bro. R. J. Emery was appointed as Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies.

1991

(March 21st) W Bro F. A. D. Harris PJGD, PPSGD, was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W. Bro. R. E. Evans, PSGD.

(September 30th) W.Bro A. E. Kemp, PAGDC, PPJGD, was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. P. C. Neivens, PSGD.

1992

(March 26th) W Bra L. E. Williams, PGStB, PPSGD, was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. K. J. White PSGD.

(June 24th) An Especial Meeting of the Provincial Grand Lodge was held to commemorate the 275th Anniversary of Grand Lodge.

(September 30th) W. Bro. KA. Harvey, PPAGDC, was invested as Provincial Grand Secretary following the retirement of W.Bro. D. Scott, PJGD, due to ill-health.

(November 26th) Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge. RW.Bro. J.W. Deal was invested as Provincial Grand Master, VW.Bro. J. A. Wright, PGJ0, was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master and VW. Bro. Derek Baum, PJGO, and W.Bro. R. I. Emery, PAGDC, were invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters.

(November 30th) E.Comp. K. A. Harvey, PPGSoj, was invested as Provincial Grand Scribe E, following the retirement of E Comp. D. Scott, PAGDC.

(December 14th) The Provincial Office moved to 2, Station Court, Station Approach, Wickford, after 18 years at 19, The Crescent, Gant Hill, Ilford.

1993

(February 3rd) R.W. Bro. F.W.R Leistikow, MA Past Provincial Grand Master died. A memorial service was held at the Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Loughton, on March 1st.

(March 25th) W. Bro. PC Neivens, O.B.E., OEM., PS.G.D., was re-obligated and re-invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W. Bro. R.G. Eggleton, P.S.G.D.

W.Bro. M. S. Hogg, PGStB. was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. Rev. D. S. Conway-Lee, PSGD.

(May 6th) E Comp. A. E. Simons, PGStB, was obligated and invested as third Provincial Grand Principal following the retirement of E Comp G.E. Thurlow, PAGSoj.

(June 16th) The inaugural reception for WMS and first Principals was held at the Heybridge Hotel, Ingatestone.

(August 23rd) Computerised Provincial Annual Returns were for the first time sent to all Royal Arch Chapters in the Province of Essex.

1994

(February 28th) The sad death occurred of W. Bro. D. Scott, Provincial Grand Secretary(1986-1992).

(June 24th) W. BE J.P. Rundlett, P.S.G.D., A.PG.M., was appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master to succeed VW Bro. F. A. Thomback, PGSwdB.

Similarly, E. Comp., J. P. Rundlett, PAGDC, was appointed Deputy Grand Superintendent to succeed E. Comp., F. A. Thornback, PGSwdB.

Following the resignation of W. Bro. L. E. Williams, PSGD, APGM, W.Bro. A. V. G. Croucher, PAGDC, ProvGDC, and W.Bro. C. G. Williams PGStB, were appointed Assistant Provincial Grand Masters to fulfil the establishment of the Province. W.Bro P.E. Holland, PAGDC was appointed as Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies.

1995

(March 19th) The sad death occurred of W.Bro. L.K. Corbett, PSGD, APGM, (1983-1988), Prov. Grand Secretary (1973-1982)

(March 31st) RW.Bro./E.Comp. G.Y. Jerman, LLB., retired as Provincial Grand Master and Grand Superintendent respectively.

(April 1st) RW.Bro./E.Comp. Lt.Col. Sir Neil Thorne, OBE., TD., DL., was appointed as Provincial Grand Master and Grand Superintendent respectively.

(June 5th) The R.W. Deputy Grand Master, lain Ross Bryce, TD., installed RW.Bro. Sir Neil Thorne, OBE., TD., DL, as Provincial Grand Master at an Especial Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge.

W.Bro. P.C. Neivens, OBE., QPM., PSGD., was appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master, W.Bros. J. M. Webb, PSGD., F. A. D. Harris, PSGD., A. E. Kemp, PSGD., M. S. Hogg, PSGD., A. V. G. Croucher, PSGD., and C. G. Williams, PGStB., were reappointed as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters. W.Bro. Dr. S. C. Emerick, PAGDC., was obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master. The Second Grand Principal, E.Comp. lain Ross Bryce, TD., installed E.Comp. Sir Neil Thorne, OBE., TD., DL, as M.E. Grand Superintendent at the Annual Convocation of Provincial Grand Chapter.

E.Comp. P. C. Neivens, OBE, QPM, PAGSoj., was appointed DepGSupt. E.Comp. C. W. Key, PAGSoj., was re-appointed Second Prov. G Principal. E.Comp. A.E. Simons, PGStB., was re-appointed Third Prov. G. Principal

1996

(May 9th) The MW The Grand Master, HRH the Duke of Kent, visited Essex and met a selection of Worshipful Masters and MEZ’s at Braintree.

(June 6th) E.Comp. G. G. Sanders was appointed Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies in the Royal Arch following the retirement of E.Comp. T. F. Wauer.

(June 12th) Essex Provincial Grand Mark. RW.Bro. J.W. Deal Provincial Grand Master retired.

(September 1st) The first edition of “In House” typesetting of the Essex Handbook.

(September 26th) RW.Bro. R. J. Emery was invested as Provincial Grand Master. VW.Bro. J.A. Wright, P.G.J.0. was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. VW.Bro. Derek Baum, P.G.J.0. and W.Bro. D.H. Jennings, P.S.G.D. were invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters and W.Bro. R. I. Purkis, PGSD. was invested as Provincial Grand Secretary.

On 31st October at Mark Masons' Hall, London. The Cryptic Division of Essex and Hertfordshire was separated into two Districts. RW.Bro. Derek Baum, was Installed as the first District Grand Master of Essex.

1997

(March 14th) W.Bro. C. J. Bradley, PGStB. was obligated and Invested as the 8th APGM, in Essex.

(June 5th) E.Comp. C. W. Key, PAGSoj. was obligated and invested as Deputy Grand Superintendent. E.Comp. A. E. Simons was appointed Second Prov. G. Principal and E.Comp. V. J. Souster as Third Provincial G. Principal.

(July 27th) Inaugural Craft Church Service held at Chelmsford Cathedral.

(November 20th) The sad death occurred of RW.Bro. J. W. Deal Past Provincial Grand Master.

1998

(January 27th) The sad death occurred of RW.Bro. R. J. Emery Provincial Grand Master of Essex Mark

(March 26th) Following the retirement of W.Bro. A.E. Kemp, PSGD, W.Bro. B. H. Procter, PAGDC was obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

(May 15th) RW.Bro. J. Alan Wright was invested as Provincial Grand Master. of the Mark Province of Essex, VW.Bro. Derek Baum, PGJ0, was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. W.Bro. D. H. Jennings, PGSD, and W.Bro. R.C. Fewster, PSGD, were invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters.

(June 4th) E.Comp A. E. Kemp. PAGSoj was appointed Second Provincial Grand Principal following the retirement of E.Comp. A.E. Simons, PAGSoj.

(October 25th) In addition to the Chelmsford Service a divine service was held at the Synagogue Westcliff on Sea.

1999

(January 20th) Official Opening by MW. The Grand Master of the nineteenth RMBI Home, Prince Edward Duke of Kent Court, Stisted, Braintree.

(March 25th) Following retirement of W. Bro. Dr. S. C. P. Emerick as APGM, W. Bro. P.E. Holland, PAGDC, was obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

(June 3rd) E.Comp A. E. Kemp, PAGSoj. was appointed Deputy Grand Superintendent following the retirement of E.Comp. C. W. Key PGSwdB. E.Comp V. J. Souster, PAGSoj was appointed Second Provincial Grand Principal following the promotion of E.Comp A. E. Kemp, PAGSoj. E.Comp R. J. Ockendon, PAGSoj was appointed Third Provincial Grand Principal following the promotion of E.Comp V. J. Souster, PAGSoj.

2000

(March 27th) The 154th Annual Festival of the RMBI, presided over by RW.Bro. Col. Sir Neil Thorne, OBE, TD, DL, raised a total of 7.1 million pounds. The Gala was attended by over 1350 people.

(June 29th) Following the retirement of VW.Bro P.C. Neivens, OBE, QPM as Deputy Provincial Grand Master, W.Bro. C. J. Bradley was obligated and invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. W.Bros. A. B. Garner and V. J. Souster were obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters. E.Comp F. A. D. Harris retired as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master and was appointed Second Provincial Grand Principal. E.Comp S. A. Gane was appointed Third Provincial Grand Principal following the retirement of E.Comp. R.J. Ockendon. E.Comp. A.J. Helliar was appointed as an Assistant to the Provincial Grand Principals.

(30th August) The first daylight Lodge in Essex was consecrated at Colchester.

(September 3rd) First direct mailing of the Essex Mason to every brother in the Province of Essex.