Our History: Timeline 1901-1950

1901

Fifty-ninth Anniversary Festival of the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution, presided over by the Earl of Warwick, D.G.M., Provincial Grand Master. There were 102 Stewards from the Province of Essex, and their total collection amounted to £4,000. Reception of Essex Brethren and their wives and daughters, over 400 in number, at Warwick Castle, by the Earl and Countess of Warwick.

1902

The Earl of Warwick announced by letter to the Lodges his resignation of the office of Provincial Grand Master. Colonel the Rt. Hon. Mark Lockwood, M.P., installed by the Earl of Warwick, D.G.M., as Provincial Grand Master, at the annual meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge at Chelmsford (July 29). W. Bro. Claude E. Egerton-Green appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master.

1903

The Earl of Warwick resigned his post of Deputy Grand Master. Portrait of himself presented to the Earl of Warwick by the Province. Earl of Warwick, as Lord-Lieutenant, laid with Masonic ceremonial the foundation stone of an extension to St. Augustine’s Church, Dovercourt.

1904

Queen Victoria Memorial at Dovercourt unveiled by the Earl of Warwick.

W. Bro. Claude E. Egerton-Green, Deputy Provincial Grand Master, died suddenly whilst cycling.

1905

W. Bro. John Henry Salter, J.P., P.G.D., installed by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. W. Bro. Albert Lucking, for thirty years Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies, died.

His Majesty King Edward VII. He was entertained by Colonel Lockwood, Prov. G.M., at Bishop’s Hall, Romford, on which occasion His Majesty conferred upon him the honour of Commander of the Victorian Order.

Colonel Lockwood appointed a Privy Councillor by His Majesty King Edward VII.

Hundred and Seventeenth Anniversary Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls, Colonel Lockwood, Provincial Grand Master, presiding. There were 162 Stewards from the Province of Essex, and their total collection amounted to £5,250.

1906

W. Bro. J.H. Salter, P.G.D., DProvGM., laid the foundation stone of St. Mary Magdalen Parish Hall, Colchester, and on the same day dedicated the organ erected in the Masonic Hall, Colchester, as a memorial to the late W. Bro. Claude E, Egerton-Green, Deputy Provincial Grand Master.

1907

New Masonic Halls at Brightlingsea and at Harwich dedicated by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., Prov. G.M.

Corner Stone of the new Children’s Wing at the Essex County Hospital, Colchester, laid by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., PGM.

1908

Earl Amherst resigned the Pro Grand Mastership of England. Lord Ampthill installed as Pro Grand Master. Masonic Hall, Frinton-on-Sea, dedicated by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., PGM.

1910

Masonic Hall, Loughton, dedicated by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., PGM.

Corner Stone of St. Saviour’s Church, Westcliff, laid by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., PGM.

Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge held on board the R.M.S. Orvieto, at Tilbury Dock. A notable event in the history of Freemasonry in Essex.

Sixty-eighth Anniversary Festival of the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution, Colonel Lockwood, M.P., PGM., presiding. There were 336 Stewards from the Province of Essex, and their total collection amounted to £7,053.

His Honour Judge Philbrick, K.C., Grand Superintendent of the Royal Arch Masons of Essex, died (December 25th).

1911

Colonel Sir T. Courtenay Warner, Bart., C.B., M.P., appointed and installed as Grand Superintendent of Essex R.A.S. Masons in succession to the late Judge Philbrick, K.C.

W. Bro. Thomas J. Ralling, Provincial Grand Secretary, presented at Harlow with a silver rose bowl and a cheque for 500 guineas, on his appointment for the thirty-fifth time Grand Secretary at the Provincial Grand Lodge.

Masonic Hall at Wivenhoe opened.



1913

The Portrait of the late Judge Philbrick, painted by Mr. Frank Daniell, of Colchester, and presented by the Royal Arch Masons of Essex to Freemasons’ Hall, London, as a Memorial of the eminent services rendered to the Order by His Honour as Grand Superintendent for 27 years. Indeed a notable figure in the history of Freemasonry in Essex. Unveiled at Freemasons’ Hall, London, by Col. Sir T. Courtenay Warner, Bart., C.B., M.P., G. Supt.

1916

(June 21st) Colonel Lockwood, M.P., presided at the 118th festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys, when £35.041 was subscribed. There were 383 stewards from Essex, who brought up £7,140.14s. The rank of P.J.G.D., conferred upon W. Bro. T. J. Ralling, P.A.G.D.C., on completing 40 years’ service as Provincial Grand Secretary.

(August) Freemasons’ War Hospital (became Freemasons’ Hospital and Nursing Home), Fulham Road, opened.

1917

(May 31st) Colonel Lockwood, M.P., R.W. PGM., and Mrs. Lockwood, accompanied by several Provincial Grand Officers visited the Freemasons’ War Hospital, Fulham Road, S.W.

(June 4) A Barony conferred on Colonel Lockwood, RW.PGM., by H.M. the King. The Colonel assumed the title of Baron Lambourne of Lambourne, in the County of Essex.

1918

(May 29th) Presentation by the Province of Essex to Col. the Right Hon. Lord Lambourne, P.C., C.V.O., of a beautiful silver model of his Lordship’s crest, a ship in full sail, in commemoration of his elevation to the peerage by His Majesty the King in recognition of his long and faithful public service. Presentation at the same time to Lady Lambourne of an anchor brooch set with diamonds.

1919

(June 27th) Celebration of Peace at an Especial Grand Lodge at the Royal Albert Hall.

1920

(May 27th) Memorial Stone of an extension to the Church of St. Mary Magdalen, Colchester, laid with Masonic Ceremonial by W.Bro. John Henry Salter, J.P., P.G.D., Deputy Provincial Grand Master, in the presence of a large gathering of Freemasons.

(November 13th) Dedication by W.Bro. Thos. J. Ralling, PGD, Provincial Grand Secretary, of a Masonic Hall at Hornchurch.

(November 25th) Presentation by the members of the Easterford Lodge, No. 2342, of a handsome illuminated address to W. Bro. John Henry Salter, J.P., PGD, DL, Deputy Provincial Grand Master, Past Master of the Lodge, one of its founders, its second Master 1891, and Master again both in 1914 and 1919.

1921

(May 31st) Presentation of his portrait in oils (by Mr. Frank Daniell) to W. Bro. Thos. J. Ralling, P.G.D., Prov. G. Sec., by the members of the Angel Lodge, No. 51, in commemoration of his investiture as Secretary of his mother Lodge for the fiftieth time on 26th October, 1920. Quite an achievement in the history of Freemasonry in Essex.

1923

(June) Lord Lambourne, P.C.,C.V.O., R.W. ProvGM., presided at the 125th Festival of the R.M. Inst. for Boys, when £85,033 was subscribed, £20,000 being from the Province of Essex.

1924

(January) Foundation Stone of New Masonic Hall, Hornchurch, laid by W. Bro. T. J. Ralling, PGD.

(April 5th) W. Bro. Thos. J. Ralling, P.G.D., the highly esteemed and respected Provincial Grand Secretary, died after serving the Province 47 years in that capacity.

(May) Masonic Hall, Hornchurch, Consecrated by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master, Lord Lambourne.

(May 28th) R.W. Bro. Col. A. J. Hanslip Ward, M.B.E., V.D.,D.L., P.G.OV., installed as Provincial Grand Master of Mark Master Masons by the Lord Aldenham. Deputy Grand Master, V.W. Bro. Walter Lawrence, P.G.OV., G.I.Wks., appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master.

(July 9th) W. Bro. Brig-Gen. Richard Beale Colvin, C.B., P.P.G.W., appointed and invested as the first Assist. Prov. Grand Master at Provincial Grand Lodge held at Southend-on-Sea, and W.Bro. Herbert Joseph Goodwin, P.M., of Lodge No.2318, invested as Provincial Grand Secretary.

1925

(August 8th) Grand Festival for the Masonic Million Memorial Fund at Olympia, London, under the presidency of H.R.H. the Duke of Connaught, M.W.G.M., who announced that in response to his appeal more than £800,000 had been promised. Of this amount £20,400 was from the Province of Essex. 8,000 brethren attended the Festival.

(December 10th) Unveiling of the Memorial in Colchester Cemetery to the late W. Bro. T. J. Ralling, formerly Provincial Grand Secretary, by the R.W. PGM.

1926

(January 6th) New Masonic Hall, Hutton, dedicated by the R.W. PGM.

(April 28th) W. Bro. Sir Frederick Halsey, P.C., retired from the office of Deputy Grand Master of England after holding the appointment for 23 years, and was succeeded by R.W. Bro. Col. F.S.W. Cornwallis, C.B.E., Pro. G.M., of Kent.

(July 15th) 150th Anniversary of Provincial Grand Lodge of Essex, held at Bishop’s Hall, Romford, the home of the R.W. PGM., when about 1,650 brethren were in attendance. To mark the occasion a cheque for £1,500 was presented to Lord Lambourne, who handed it to one of the Joint Hon. Secretaries of Freemasons’ Hospital. This presentation has since been commemorated in the single-bedded Wards “The Lambourne Ward.

1927

(June 3rd) Lord Lambourne, P.C., R.W. PGM., had conferred upon him by H.M. the King the distinction of Knight Grand Cross of the Victorian Order.

(November 10th) New Masonic Hall, Saffron Walden, dedicated by Dr. J.H. Salter, Deputy Prov. Grand Master.

Foundation Stone laid to the extension of St. Laurence Church, Upminster, by Dr. J.H. Salter, deputising for Lord Lambourne, who was indisposed.

1928

(December 26th) Lord Lambourne, our beloved R.W. PGM., died at Bishop’s Hall, and was buried in Lambourne Churchyard on 31st December.

1929

(April 23rd) R.W. Bro. Brig.-Gen. R. Beale Colvin, C.B., Lord Lieut. for the County, was installed as Prov. Grand Master at Freemasons’ Hall, London, W.C.2., by the M.W. Pro. Grand Master the Rt. Hon. Lord Ampthill. W.Bro. Dr. J.H. Salter, J.P., D.L., was re-appointed Dep. Prov. G. Master and V.W. Bro. Sir Harry Goschen, Bart, was appointed Asst. Prov. Grand Master.

(May 8th) Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls presided over by our R.W. Prov. Grand Master. Over £77,000 was subscribed, of this more than £31,000 was contributed by this Province.

(May 18th) Foundation Stone of the extension to the Forest Hospital at Buckhurst Hill was laid by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master. The Masonic Lodges and Chapters meeting at Loughton, Chingford and Buckhurst Hill provided £2,000 towards the cost of the new building.

1930

(May 24th) R.W.. Prov. G. Master was invested as Senior Grand Warden of the Prov. Grand Lodge of Essex Mark Master Masons. W.Bro. Arthur J. O. Turner, P.G.D., was appointed Dep. Prov. G. Master in succession to V.W. Bro. W. Lawrence who had retired from the position on account of ill-health.

(June 3rd) R.W. Prov. G. Master was invested as Senior Grand Warden of England in Mark Grand Lodge.

(July 17th) Provincial Grand Lodge met at Monkhams, the home of the R.W. ProvGMaster, who there presented to the Province a beautiful new set of Consecrating Vessels. On the same day, to commemorate the occasion, three acacia trees were planted, one by Lady Gwendoline Colvin, one by her brother, the Earl of Stradbroke, R.W. Prov. G. Master of Suffolk, and one by Col. R.F. Boileau, RW. ProvGMaster of Norfolk.

(October 11th) The R.W. Prov. G. Master laid the Foundation Stone with Masonic Ceremonial, of the Masonic Hall at Chingford.

(November 4th) The new Masonic Temple at Chelmsford was dedicated by the R.W. Prov. G. Master.

1931

(February 14th) The new Temple at Chingford was dedicated by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master.

(May 31st) The memorial erected in the Essex Regimental Chapel, Great Warley, to the memory of the late Lord Lambourne, RW. ProvGMaster for 26 years, and to the brethren of Essex Lodges who fell in the Great War, was unveiled by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master. The dedication service was conducted by the Prov. G. Chaplain, W. Bro. Rev. A. W. M. Weatherley, M.A.

(July 14th) Dr. J.H. Salter, J.P., D.L., Dep. Prov. G. Master attained his 90th birthday; the Easterford Lodge, No. 2342, of which he was Founder, had been Master twice, and Treasurer for 36 years, held its July meeting on this date b dispensation. The members assembled at the Temple, at Kelvedon, and then journeyed to Tolleshunt D’Arcy where Dr. Salter received them. The Master, on behalf of the Lodge, presented the Dep. Pro. G. Master with a handsome silver Rose Bowl to commemorate the occasion. W. Bro. Col. H. W. Burton. M.P., P.P.G.W., the Prov. G. Secretary, the Prov. G.D.C. and the Dep. Prov. GD.C., as a deputation from Prov. Grand Lodge, presented Dr. Salter with an illuminated address, in book form, the pages of which had been signed by the Master, Wardens, Secretary and Treasurer of every Lodge in the Province.

1932

(April 17th) The Dep. PGM., W. Bro. Dr. John Henry Salter, J.P., D.L., P.G.D., died at Tolleshunt D’Arcy, aged 90, and was buried in the local churchyard on April 21st. He had completed 27 years of service as D.P.G.M.

(July 7th) V.W. Bro. Sir Harry Goschen, Bart., PGTreas, appointed as Dep. PGM., Sir Frederic Senier, P.P.G.W., appointed and invested as Assistant PGM., at Southend-on-Sea.

(October 1st) The Colvin Lodge, No. 5374, named after the R.W. Prov. Grand Master, was Consecrated in St. Osyth’s Priory, by kind permission of Brig. Gen. R.B. Colvin, being conducted by the Prov. Grand Secretary. Prior to this Ceremony, the ProvGMaster obligated and invested Sir Harry Goschen as Deputy Prov. Grand Master.

1933

(July 14th) The Foundation Stone of the new Masonic Hall at Braintree was laid by the Assistant Prov. Grand Master, Sir Frederic Senier, the R.W. Prov. Grand Master and the Dep. Prov. Grand Master being absent on account of illness. The Salter Memorial Room, attached to the Masonic Hall at Kelvedon, was dedicated this day by the Assistant Prov. Grand Master.

1934

(April 21st) The Howard Masonic Hall, Braintree, dedicated by Sir Frederic Senier, Assistant Provincial Grand Master, in the absence of the R.W. Prov. Grand Master owing to indisposition.

(June 26th) The R.W. Provincial Grand Master Brig.-Gen. R. Beale Colvin, C.B., invested by His Majesty the King at Buckingham Palace as Knight Commander of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath.

(July 28th) The Foundation Stone of the Lord Lambourne Masonic Hall, Romford, was laid by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master.

(No.. 9) The Essex First Principals Chapter No. 3256 (the first Chapter of its character) was consecrated by the Pro First Grand Principal, the Rt. Hon. Lord Ampthill. Our Grand Supt., Sir T. Courtenay Warner, Bart., was installed as Z., Dr. F. Douglas Turner as H. and the Rev. F. E. Crate as J. The Founders numbered 105. At this meeting Sir Courtenay Warner was presented with his portrait, which had been painted by Mr. J. Crealock, as a token of affection and esteem from the members of all the Chapters in the Province and in recognition of his 23 years’ service as Grand Superintendent.

(December 15th) Our beloved Grand Supt. Sir Courtenay Warner, Bart., died in London following a few days’ illness; he was buried at Thorpe Morieux, Suffolk, on December 19th.

1935

(May 21st) St. Osyth’s Priory Lodge, No. 2063, celebrated its Jubilee with a meeting at the Priory (by kind permission of the Master, Brig.-Gen. K. Kincaid Smith). At this meeting our R.W. Prov. Grand Master read a very interesting paper in reference to previous owners of the Priory who had served the office of Lord Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum.

(May 30th) Dr. F. Douglas Turner, our highly esteemed Prov. Second Grand Principal was installed as Grand Supt. by the Rt. Hon. Lord Ampthill, Pro First Grand Principal.

(July 7th) The Rt. Hon. Lord Ampthill died following a few days’ illness.

(September 28th) The Lord Lambourne Masonic Hall situated in Western Road, Romford, was dedicated by the R.W. Provincial Grand Master, Brig.-Gen. Sir Richard Colvin, K.C.B.

(November 25th) The oldest Lodge, Angel, No. 51, celebrated its Bi- Centenary. The meeting was held in the Moot Hall, Colchester, at which there were present; the R.W. Provincial Grand Master, The Earl of Courtown S.G.W., the President of the Board of General Purposes, and the Grand Director of Ceremonies. W.Bro. J. E. Cheese, P.P.G.W., Master of the Lodge, presided.

(December 20th) Owing to continued ill-health, the Deputy Provincial Grand Master, Sir Harry Goschen, Bart., K.B.E., tendered his resignation.

 

1936

(January 10th) The R. W. Provincial Grand Master appointed Sir Frederic Senier, Assistant Provincial Grand Master, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Sir Harry Goschen.

(January 17th) Our greatly esteemed R. W. Provincial Grand Master, Brig.- Gen. Sir Richard Colvin, K.C.B., died at his home, Monkhams, Waltham Abbey, and was buried in the family vault at Cheshunt, on the 22nd January.

(March 16th) Brig.-Gen. K. J. Kincaid Smith, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., was appointed by the M.W. Grand Master to succeed the late Sir Richard Colvin as R.W. Provincial Grand Master.

(June 24th) Brig.-Gen. K. J. Kincaid Smith, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O. installed as R.W. Provincial Grand Master by the Pro Grand Master, Rt. Hon. Earl of Harewood, at a meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge held in Freemasons’ Hall, Gt. Queen Street, W.C.2. The R.W. Provincial Grand Master re-appointed Sir Frederic Senier as Deputy Provincial Grand Master, and Lt. Col. A. Butler Harris, MA, DL, PGD., as Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

(August 4th) The Assistant Provincial Grand Master, Dr. A. Butler Harris, died very suddenly at Loughton, aged 72 years.

(September 30th) Colonel J.L. French, D.L., PPGW, was obligated and invested Assistant Provincial Grand Master at the Installation Meeting of the Essex Masters Lodge, at Freemasons’ Hall, W.C.2.

1937

(June 19th) The Foundation Stone of the Colvin Masonic Memorial Temple, at Clacton-on-Sea, was laid by the R.W. Pro. Grand Master. At the same time Bro. Capt. R.B.R. Colvin laid a Memorial Stone on the opposite side of the entrance to the building. Lady Gwendoline Colvin and other members of the late Brig.-Gen. Colvin’s family were also present.

The King was invested as Past Grand Master by the Rt. Hon. The Earl of Harewood. The King afterwards occupied the Throne and invested the brethren who had received preferment in Grand Lodge, among whom was the Prov. Grand Secretary, W. Bro. Herbert J. Goodwin, who was promoted from PAGDC, to PGD.

(October 27th) The Colvin Masonic Memorial Temple, at Clacton-on-Sea, was dedicated by the R.W. Provincial Grand Master.

(December 18th) The one hundred and fortieth Lodge in the Province, the Royal Forest, No. 5705, was consecrated by the RW. Provincial Grand Master. This entitled him to appoint an additional Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

1938

(January 27th) W. Bro. F. J. Jackson, JP, PPGW, was appointed, invested and proclaimed as Assistant Provincial Grand Master, at the Installation meeting of the Hope and Unity Lodge, No. 214, of which he is a Past Master.

(March 3rd) The R.W. Provincial Grand Master was exalted into Royal Arch Masonry, in the Coronation Chapter, No. 2063 at Clacton-on-Sea, the Ceremony being performed by the Grand Superintendent, assisted by the Officers of Provincial Grand Chapter.

(August 18th) Colonel A.J. Hanslip Ward, R.W. Prov. Grand Mark Master of the Province, died at his home, The Gables, Dovercourt.

(September 22nd) The Chigwell Lodge, No. 453, celebrated its Centenary. A special meeting of the Lodge, in honour of the occasion, was held at Freemasons’ Hall, London, W.C.2., which was attended by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master, the Deputy Prov. Grand Master, the two Assistant Prov. Grand Masters, and a number of the principal officers of the year.

(November 29th) Major A. J. O. Turner was installed R.W. Prov. Grand Master of Mark Masons in this Province at Mark Masons’ Hall, the ceremony being performed by the M.W. Pro, Grand Master, the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Stradbroke.

Major Arthur Turner appointed W. Bro. W. H. Hyde, P.G. Ov., as Deputy Provincial Grand Master, and W. Bro. J. G. Freeman, P.A.G.D.C., P.P.G.W., as Provincial Grand Secretary.

1939

(February 23rd) The R.W. Pro. Grand Master presided at the Festival of the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution. The total amount subscribed was over £110,000 of which £55,000 was contributed by the Province; this being one of the largest amounts ever subscribed to the Festival of this Institution by a single Province.

(July 19th) H.R.H. The Duke of Kent, K.G., installed as M.W. Grand Master by H.M. King George VI, P.G.M., at Olympia, London, S.W., 12,000 brethren attended and the Province provided many special Stewards for the occasion. W. Bros. Sir John Niven, P.G.D., and J.W. Privett, PGStB., were among those who received preferment to celebrate this event.

1942

(October 13th) W. Bro. Herbert J. Goodwin, P.G.D., highly esteemed Prov. Grand Secretary who held that office for 19 years, died at the Royal Masonic Hospital after a short illness.

(December 23rd) W. Bro. A. A. W. Simmonds, P.M. Lodge No. 3147, appointed Prov. Grand Secretary in an honorary capacity, and W.Bro. A. Warriner, P.M. Lodge No. 4785, appointed Prov. Asst. Grand Secretary.

1943

(April 10th) W. Bro. F. J. Jackson, J.P., P.G.D., greatly esteemed Assistant Prov. Grand Master, died after a long period of continued ill-health.

(June 2nd) An Especial Meeting of Grand Lodge held at Freemasons’ Hall, London, in celebration of the Installation of the Rt. Hon. The Earl of Harewood, K.G., as M.W. Grand Master, by H.M. The King, Past Grand Master. At this meeting several brethren received preferment in Grand Lodge, among whom was W. Bro. A.R. Adams, J.P., Prov. S.G.W., who was invested with the collar of PAGDC.

(July 22nd) W. Bro. Archibald Glen Duncan, M.D, PPGW, was obligated, invested and proclaimed Assistant Prov. Grand Master.

(November 30th) The total amount contributed in response to the R.W. Prov. Grand Master’s appeal on behalf of the Royal Masonic Hospital was £11,382 3s. 3d.

1944

(April 26th) W. Bro. Dr. A.G. Duncan, Assistant Provincial Grand Master, was invested as J.G.D. by the M.W., The Grand Master. The Jubilee Meetings of Ixion Lodge, No. 2501 (May 18th), Earl of Warwick Lodge, No. 2504 (March 9th), and Thomas Ralling Lodge, No. 2508 (April 22nd) were held in London each meeting being attended by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master.

(June 14th) The sum of £3,640 3s 6d was subscribed by Essex at the Annual Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys, which was the highest contribution from the Provinces.

(June 29th) Annual Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge postponed to December 7th, owing to prevailing conditions of war.

1945

(May 24th) Brig. J.L. French, C.B.E., Asst. Prov. Grand Master, appointed Third Prov. Grand Principal of Royal Arch Masons in Essex.

(June 9th) Jubilee Meeting of West Essex Lodge, No. 2561 at Chigwell, attended by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master, and the M.E. Grand Superintendent.

(July 2nd) Jubilee Meeting of the Ixion Chapter, No. 2501, in London, attended by the M.E. Grand Superintendent and Third Prov. Grand Principal.

(July 7th) V.W. Bro. Major Sir Harry Goschen, Bart., K.B.E., D.L., Deputy Prov. Grand Master from 1932-35, passed away at his residence at Harlow, after a long period of ill-health.

(November 5th) The Lodge of Hope and Unity, No. 214, celebrated its Sesqui-Centenary at Freemasons’ Hall, London. The RW. ProvGMaster attended the meeting, accompanied by Executive Officers of the Province. W.Bro. Hugo R. Bird, PAGSuptWks, occupied the Chair, and a Paper was read on the History of the Lodge by W. Bro. F.T. Cramphorn, P.A.G.D.C. The Grand Secretary, V.W. Bro. Sydney A. White, attended the after proceedings.

1946

(March 21st) The Essex Installed Mark Master’ Lodge, No. 1044, was consecrated in London by the R.W. Deputy Grand Master, Canon Frederick Halsey, M.A., R.W. Bro. Major A.J.O. Turner, PGM., was installed as the first Master.

(May 23rd) At the Annual Meeting of Provincial Grand Chapter the Presentation of his Portrait in oils, (by Mr. James Grant, R.E., R.P.)was made to the M.E. Grand Superintendent, Dr. F. Douglas Turner, C.B.E., on behalf of the Chapters (60) in his Province, as a token of affection and esteem, and in recognition of his many years’ service as Second Prov. Grand Principal and Grand Superintendent. He also accepted a Diamond Brooch for Mrs. Turner.

(June 4th) The R.W. Prov. Grand Master, Brig.-Gen. K. Kincaid-Smith, C.B., was invested as Senior Grand Warden in Mark Grand Lodge.

1947

(April 30th) His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, K.G., installed as Deputy Grand Master in succession to General Sir Francis Davies, K.C.B.

(April 30th) W. Bro. A.A.W. Simmonds, P.A.G.D.C., P.P.G.W., Provincial Grand Secretary, promoted to the rank of Past Junior Grand Deacon.

(May 7th) At the Annual Meeting of Mark Master Masons held at the Masonic Hall, Chingford, W. Bro. J.G. Freeman, P.G.D., was installed as Deputy Prov. Grand Master and W. Bro. James Lake, P.A.G.D.C., was appointed and invested Prov. Grand Secretary.

(May 24th) The Rt. Hon. The Earl of Harewood, K.G., M.W. Grand Master, passed away.

(September 15th) The Lodge of Hope, No. 433, celebrated its Centenary, at Brightlingsea. The R.W. Prov. Grand Master attended the Meeting, accompanied by W. Bro. Dr. A.G. Duncan, Asst. PGM., and presented the Centenary Warrant.

1948

(January 28th) The 170th Lodge in the Province, Trueborn, No. 6554, was consecrated by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master, which entitled him to appoint a third Assistant Prov. Grand Master.

(March 23rd) His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, K.G., installed as M.W. Grand Master by His Majesty King George VI, P.G.M., at the Royal Albert Hall.

(April 15th) W. Bro. The Rev. R. Stafford Morris, M.A., Prov. G. Chaplain, was obligated, invested and proclaimed Assistant Prov. Grand Master at the Meeting of the Essex Masters Lodge, No. 3256, held at Freemasons’ Hall, London.

(April 26th) W. Bro. James Lake., PA.G.D.C., installed as Deputy Prov. Grand Master of Mark Masons in this Province and W. Bro. P.V. Faning as Prov. Grand Secretary, at Chelmsford.

(June 9th) The M.W. Grand Master presided over the 150th Anniversary Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys.

(July 10th) The Rev. F.E. Crate, Provincial Prior, passed away at his home at Aldham, Colchester.




1949

(April 7th) W. Bro. Dr. John F. Taylor, P.G.D., P.P.G.W., was obligated, invested, and proclaimed Assistant Prov. Grand Master, at the meeting of the Essex Masters Lodge, No. 3256, held at Freemasons’ Hall, London.

(May 6th) Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge celebrated its Fiftieth Anniversary at Southend-on-Sea, the R.W. Deputy Grand Master, Canon Frederick Halsey, M.A., being present.

(July 15th) Our highly esteemed Provincial Grand Master, RW.Bro. Brig.- Gen. K. Kincaid-Smith, CB, CMG, DSO, passed away in the Royal Masonic Hospital and was buried at St. Osyth, Clacton-on-Sea, on the 20th July.

(September 15) W.Bro. P. V. Faning, PJGD, installed as Deputy Provincial Grand Master of Mark Masons in this Province, and W..Bro. L. E. Kirk as Prov Grand Secretary, at a special meeting held in London.

(December 15) Sir Frederick Senier, JP, PGD, installed as RW ProvGMaster by the MW Grand Master, His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, KG, at a special meeting held at Freemasons Hall, London. The RW, Provincial Grand Master appointed Dr A. G. Duncan, as Deputy Provincial Grand and reappointed the Rev. R. Stafford Morris, MA, and Dr. John F. Taylor as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters.

1950

(July) The RW. Provincial Grand Master appointed W.Bro. S. A. Williams, MA. as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

(August 3) Our greatly esteemed R.W. Provincial Grand Master, Sir Frederick Senier, JP, died at his home at Leigh-on-Sea.

(September 27) W.Bro. S. A. Williams, M.A., P.A.G.D.C., P.P.G.W. obligated and invested Assistant Provincial Grand Master at the Installation Meeting of the Essex Masters Lodge, at Freemason's Hall, London.

(September) Presentation of a Master's Chair by Sir Henry Floyd, Bart., C.B., in memory of his Uncle, our late Provincial Grand Master, Brig.-Gen. K. Kincaid-Smith, C.B., placed in the Colvin Memorial Temple, Clacton-on-Sea .

(November 26) The death occurred of the MW. The Grand Master, His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, K.G.