Our History: Timeline 1776-1900

1776

Freemasons’ Hall, London, dedicated by Lord Petre

1776

1788

Royal Masonic Institution for Girls founded

1796

W. Bro. George Downing appointed Provincial Grand Master of Essex

1796

1798

Royal Masonic Institution for Boys founded with a dedicated institution provided in Tottenham in 1856

1801

W. Bro. William Wix appointed Provincial Grand Master on the death of R.W. Bro. George Downing.

1801

1813

United Grand Lodge of England constituted

1824

W. Bro. W. P. Honywood, M.P., appointed Provincial Grand Master

1824

1837

R.W. Bro. Rowland Alston installed at Colchester as Provincial Grand Master

1842

Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution founded

1842

1843

Foundation Stone of Colchester Town Hall laid with full Masonic ceremonial by the Master of the Angel Lodge , No. 51, W. Bro. John Pattison

1846

W. Bro. George Robert Rowe, M.D., P.G.D., installed as Deputy Provincial Grand Master at Chelmsford

1846

1847

At a Provincial Grand Lodge held at Romford, 9th June, it was decided to present a silver cup to the R. W. Pro. G.M

1853

Foundation Stone of the Church of St. Mary Magdalen, Colchester, laid with Masonic ceremonial by the Provincial Grand Master, R. W. Bro. Rowland Alston.

1853

1855

W. Bro. Robert J. Bagshaw, installed Provincial Grand Master at Chelmsford (May 17th) by Lord Yarborough, D.G.M.,

1856

The first meeting of the Grand Lodge of Mark Master Masons was held on Monday, 23 June 1856

1856

1877

The Albert Edward Lifeboat launched with Masonic ceremonial at Clacton-on-Sea by Lord Skelmersdale, Prov. Grand Master

1879

Right Hon. Lord Tenterden, K.C.B., appointed Provincial Grand Master on the death of R. W. Bro. Robert J. Bagshaw

1879

1882

Lord Tenterden, K. C. B., Provincial Grand Master, died

1883

Lord Brooke, afterwards Earl of Warwick, installed as Provincial Grand Master at Colchester, 2nd February, by H. R. H. the Duke of Albany, K.G.

1883

1891

Right Hon. the Earl of Lathom appointed Pro Grand Master. Colonel Shadwell Clerke, Grand Secretary died.

1892

V. W. Bro. Sir Edward Letchworth appointed and invested as Grand Secretary.

1892

1893

95th Festival Royal Masonic Institution for Boys at Brighton, Lord Brooke, afterwards Earl of Warwick, in the chair.

1895

Dedication by the Earl of Warwick of the Masonic Temple, Kelvedon.

1895

1896

Centenary of the Hope and Unity Lodge, No. 214 celebrated at the Royal Forest Hotel, Chingford, by dispensation

1897

Masonic Hall, Braintree, dedicated by W.Bro. Thos. J. Ralling, PAGDC, ProvGSec

1897

1898

Presentation at Brentwood of a valedictory address to His Honour Judge Philbrick, Q.C., on his resignation of the post of Deputy Provincial Grand Master, held since 1880

1899

The Earl of Warwick inducted as Deputy Grand Master by Earl Amherst, Pro. Grand Master

1899